Thursday, May 5, 2011

Still no news....

I've been waiting about 5 weeks since my interview.  I emailed my admissions representative and she said that due to the semester/quarter break that the admissions committee had 2 weeks off, so I should be waiting an additional 2 weeks. 

I have to admit that I have been reading a lot of blogs online that caution against Ross.  Some say that they have a high failure rate (60%?), and some cite safety on campus.  It makes me caution possibly leaving my quiet suburban life with a somewhat cushy (although low paying) job to seek out my dream.  Should I just accept that I am not going to be a doctor and seek a Ph.D. and then become a 'real' professor and not just one at a local career college?  Should I look into a counseling degree?  I understand that things published online must be taken with a grain of salt and could be completely fictitious. 

Besides these blogs/websites I have had a less than ideal experience from Ross so far just in my application process.  First, when I submitted my application the office staff wanted a court order as proof of my name change due to marriage.  No other school (or employer) has asked for this and it seems to me that most organizations take it for granted that a female would change her last name at some point.  I don't have a court order per se, just a marriage license.  I suppose someone could pay someone with the same first name (and social security number???) to provide transcripts to get in to school but how would that help you in the classroom? 

The next strange thing to me was that one of my letters of recommendation was submitted directly to interfolio via word document and was not on official letter head.  They said that the admissions committee could not look at that LOR without it being on a letter head.  I have submitted 5 LORs to the committee (separate because my undergrad institution does not have a pre med committee).  I am just going to assume that they can use the other 4 for official LORs. 

The third thing that has upset me about the school is the long wait time for the committee to make a decision. 

These ARE minor things, but I have heard things like Ross changing the syllabus for a class the day before a final.  I have heard that Ross accepts way too many students with the intention that most will drop out.  I want to go to med school, not Seal training school.  If I make this big break with my day to day life and incur lots of debt I want to have somewhat of an assurance that if I do my part (study, dedication, etc...) that the school will be honest and not throw up a bunch of technicality hurdles.  If they are so hinky about name change / letterheads what else might they be hinky about?  If I don't dot my "I" on the final exam will they throw it out?  Will the syllabus for a class change last minute meaning that I might fail a class? 

These are just a few things I am considering now.

1 comment:

  1. I am told having patience is the best practice. At least you can keep learning as you teach.

    ReplyDelete