Tuesday, June 14, 2011

You're Going Wheeerrreee???

People have been very congratulatory when I tell them that I have gotten into MedSchool.  The inevitable follow up question is -- where are you going?  I usually say that I am going to Ross University which is a Carribean med school; and that I will be on the island of Dominica for approximately 16 months before returning to the states for clinical rotations.  At this point people usually confuse Dominica (dom-i-NEE-ka) for the Dominican Republic.  I understand this confusion, because I probably couldn't have pointed Dominica out on the map prior to applying to Ross.  People may then ask, why Dominica?  Which is a fair question.  I haven't found a nice way to say that it was the only school that accepted me yet; so that is what I say.  Some people have been worried that I won't be able to practice in the States or that there may be some discrimination because of where I went to school.  It is true that Ross is considered to be a foreign Med School.  There is a different certification process for foreign med students.  The fact that I am already a US citizen and speak English as my native language will make things easier for sure.  I spoke with another physician who had done his training in the Phillipines. He said that you can get a Medical Education there for about $6,000 us.  I am sure that there are many fine doctors trained in the Phillipines, I don't think that route is for me. 

I think that Ross has a good reputation as a med school which accepts students who may not be the perfect candidate on paper.  As a result, they do have a higher failure rate than more selective schools.  And yes, they do charge an arm and a leg.  To go to Ross you have to be really serious about going to med school.  You have to put your money where your mouth is, and take a big leap of faith.  I think you would find it hard to get someone to say that going to Ross is easier than any US med school. Moving to an island outside of your native country, thousands of miles away from any familiar faces, adapting to a new culture and climate, living without a CAR! These are all obstacles that a Ross student faces.  However, the reward for me is knowing that at the end of it I will be able to help people with their healthcare decisions will be worth it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment