Monday, March 28, 2011

Navy and Ross


Just got off the phone with my US Navy recruiter. I faxed in forms to him last Saturday and he had some changes for me to make. He asked me about the med school ap process and I said that I had an interview with Ross last week. He then mentioned that since Ross was not LCME accredited that I could not use a navy scholarship there. I still could use federal stafford loans and private loans but this was one funding source that I was counting on. I also have aps out at several other do and md schools but I still feel that Ross is my best shot so far. It would really suck to get accepted only to not be able to pay for school. It would also suck even worse to go through med school, get loans, and then not be able to get into a residency because of not going to an LCME accredited school. The Ross website says that they have been deemed "LCME equivalent" at four different states. Which still means that they don't have this accreditation. Anyway this is something to think about as I move forward.

3 comments:

  1. Have you applied to accredited schools it would be ashame to through away that free money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have applied to other schools but Ross is the only school that has offered an interview. Ideally, I would like to go to an LCME accredited school, but if it is not offered to me, I don't know whether or not I will go to Ross or not. It is a hard decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. It is a lot of money, but it may be worth the extra loans to just get through med school.

    ReplyDelete