Friday, March 25, 2011

What Island are You On?

I've been reflecting on spending 16 months on an island.  At first, I thought about how strange it will be to be living on an island for such a long time - isolated from so many things that I find to be 'normal'.  However, I realized that many people are isolated on their own islands all the time.  These are not islands of geographic separation but rather barriers based on demographics, religion, social status, politics, work status and probably many other things that I am not thinking of here.  While I might possibly be separating myself from the 'real world' soon by being situated on an island in the Caribbean, how are you separated from the rest of the world?  I know personally, there are several barriers I have between myself and other groups of people.  I try to break down these barriers as much as I can, but they still exist and probably some always will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment