Thursday, August 4, 2011

Venting about my current non-jobs

As mentioned previously, I teach in an online setting.  All of my student contact is done via the internet.  The only way my supervisor has to determine that I am actually doing a good job is through web generated reports.  I spent probably 6 hours yesterday working on updating things for my classroom.  The report she was given this morning said that I had not logged into my classroom for an extended series of days.  I said that I did not know why this had happened but I assured her that I was logging into my classroom.

It really takes the wind out of my sails to do a lot of work only to get feedback that I haven't done any, or feel accused that I haven't done any.  Why bust my ass then?  The administration only looks at reports, not student results or what is posted in the classes.  Why is the metric to log in each day.  I could log in and do nothing. Logging in doesn't mean that I've actually helped a student or updated course content or graded effectively. 

I disagree that my usefulness should be based solely on whether or not I have logged in to my classes.

Also, I have been doing ebay auctions to get rid of excess junk and also to make a little money.  I recently had a person complain that the old iPhone I listed was not the exact type listed in the auction.  They want to keep the phone and they want me to pay them back the entire money that they paid me.  Basically, they want me to pay them to keep my phone.  I'm not doing it folks.  Just not.  I wasn't born yesterday.  The phone works and is fine.

All this is increasing my stress level which is already elevated by making a huge leap into starting med school.  I am tempted to quit both, and just live solely on student loans.

2 comments:

  1. No!! Just don't leap yet! It will be ok. Look for the true evaluation, did your students learn and did you learn an iPhone lesson. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the person is sending the phone back and if it is working, I will send a refund.

    ReplyDelete