Monday, July 11, 2011

MERP / ROSS vs. LECOM POSTBAC

A list of the positive attributes as I currently see them for both programs.  Ignoring the negative attributes.  I am assuming that I will be successfully completing either one of these programs.  I am not taking into account failure at either one of these.  I really think I will do fine and be successful in either one.

MERP / ROSS
  1. Leads to MD degree which is more widely understood as "doctor".  
    • While most of the civilized educated populace understand what a DO is, there may be some cases where an explanation is in order.  I would imagine that it might get tedious after awhile.
    1. Could matriculate Med School in Jan rather than next September.
    2. Being in total isolation from everyone and everything I now know may be a good thing.  Driving down to see people may be tempting at times and may take time away from my studies.  Not being able to do this might be a blessing in disguise.
      1. Climate / location - I would much rather live on a tropical island than in an industrial city where in December it snows on average 23 inches.  I am also intrigued about possibly being able to experience a hurricane.  I LOVE Indiana rain storms and would like to compare the two.  Is that silly?  Also, when I would get to Dominica  I am excited to explore some of the natural resources/ nature trails, volcanos and scuba opportunities.
      2. The opportunity to experience a new culture/ be out side of the US for awhile.  This is a unique opportunity to explore another country(ies).  One that I may not have again in my lifetime.
      3. If you pass MERP, you start med school, with no need to re-apply or retake the MCAT. 
        • With LECOM you are 'guaranteed' admission if you BOTH pass the program with a 3.0 (3.1?) GPA and a 23 on an MCAT you take within 2 years of matriculation.  ( I would need to retake the MCAT).  But, it has to be BOTH, one or the other won't cut it.  Overall, there is a slight risk that with LECOM I could not be offered acceptance to their DO program.
        LECOM POSTBAC
        1. Is a US medical school and thus would be easier to earn a residency spot.
        2. Is a 7 hour drive from my family instead of a half day to a day plane ride.  Much easier to see people during breaks/ weekends.  
        3. My family would rather I go here.
        4. I feel more attracted to the DO model of medicine.  Namely patient centered medicine not just focusing on disease as an aberrant biological or neuro-physical manifestation but as a result of a lifetime of socio-cultural influence.  How can one expect to treat a diabetic patient when they go back to their community and are faced with a culture that promotes fatty and sugary foods?  How can a doctor effectively treat and medicate a patient suffering from Bipolar disorder when the patient's family view psychiatric medicine as not adequately tested and thus counsel the patient not to take it?  How does a doctor induce a patient to take a full course of antibiotics when the local culture advocates medication hoarding?  A disease does not form in a vacuum.  I would say that it is a minority of diseases that do not have a socio-cultural cause or influence. 
        5. Abundance of the things we take for granted in the US such as clean drinking water out of the faucet, cheap food, cheap electricity, ready access to high speed internet, a car, (relatively) save streets and transportation to and from school..
        6. A more organized, 'well kept ship'.  
          • I have heard horror stories of sylabi being changed immediately before finals at Ross.  Recently, the current April MERPERs have said that they have been locked out of the study cubicles and student lounge area because of a construction project.  This is happening 2 weeks prior to their MINI exam 3, when studying in a quiet environment would be crucial. 
        7. As mentioned before, LECOM being a US med school I could join the Navy to repay my student loans.
        8. The Post Bac program is eligible for US student loans while MERP is not.  Ross is, but MERP is not.
        9. Not sure if this should be an addendum to point #5, but I will be able to load up my car with all the things I will need for the semester and just drive up.  No need to finagle a printer from former student, no need to worry about being able to ship in printer ink.  I can bring with me much more of my familiar items. 
        10. Access to doctors more readily
        11. Cost, I can expect to be about only $250k in debt from LECOM rather than $350+ from Ross
        12. As I understand it, they have a state of the art fitness facility. 
        13. Another student who has attended both has said that the LECOM program prepares you the best to become a good doctor.  (I think this is probably the best point because isn't the ultimate goal to become a good doctor?)
        14. The Post Bac program is a certificate granting program. So, even if the worst happened, I would have more initials to tack to the end of my name on a business card.
          • MERP Is not a PostBac program.  MERP offers no certificate.  
                ***WILL BE UPDATING THIS LIST LATER AS MORE ITEMS COME TO ME***

              1 comment:

              1. Go to LECOM. It will save money, and Caribbean students are at a worsening disadvantage with getting US residencies. DOs will have much more opportunity than Caribbean MDs.

                ReplyDelete