Monday, July 11, 2011

Things in Perspective

Knowing that you are most likely going to be far far away from everyone and everything you hold to be familiar for a period of approximately 2 years really puts things in perspective.  I imagine that someone coming to terms with their mortality has a similar experience.  Of all of the things that I "OWN" some things that I have held on to for years suddenly do not seem that important to keep.  In other words, if I cannot use that bicycle that has been collecting dust in my garage, do I want to keep it for an additional 2 years?  Do I still want to keep these Barbies that my mom got for me to give to my children?  Especially now that I probably won't be done with my medical education until I'm 40 will I ever get to have my own children?  If I only have 3 weeks remaining with my family in the state as I know it currently, do I want to waste my time with these 'obligatory' obligations of family reunions, or just spend time enjoying things the way they are currently before my whole world gets turned upside down?

No comments:

Post a Comment