Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Stats

  1. Graduated in 2000 with a BS in Biology Minors in Chemistry and Psychology.  Official Transcript gives my GPA as 3.1
  2. Took the MCAT in April of 2003 and got a 20 O (BS 8) (PS 6) (VR 6)
    • Didn't study for this at all, took the test cold.  **not advisable**
  3. Graduated in 2006 with a MS in Medical Science GPA 3.0
  4. Took the MCAT in May of 2010 and got 28 Q (BS 9) (PS 8) (VR 11) 
  5. GPA according to AMCAS is 2.9 (They don't remove grades if you repeat a course)
  6. GPA according to AACOMAS is 3.2 (They are more lenient on GPA)
That's the numbers and that's pretty much all the schools look at on their first pass.

What frustrates me most about this is that I cannot go back and change my GPA, no matter how long I wait.  I have something like 180 credit hours now and would have to take a TON more in order to change my GPA.  [I would have to get 400 credit hours all with an A in order to move my GPA up to a 3.7 which is average for medical applicants] If I went and got a Nobel Prize now, and went back and applied to Med School, they would probably still not like me because of my undergrad GPA.

Similarly, when you get LORs they want your undergrad science profs.  While I was able to contact these people, they only remember the person I was in College, which was a bit of a slacker.  (as evidenced by my GPA).  My profs probably say that I am bright but lack the ability to apply myself or something like that.  You can't contact admissions committees and say, "Hey, I graduated over 10 years ago and am not the person I was back then, can I get a boss's recommendation or something like that?"  I think that this is unfair for the non-trad med applicant.

No comments:

Post a Comment